$$ How much are we talking here? $$

Expensive.

Skidmore College is expensive. Then again the cost of just about any private college education is expensive but what you get in return is worth the investment and we are talking big time investments here. Paying for college is investing in your education and future.

The cost per year to attend Skidmore is $56, 400. This sum includes estimates for books, personal expenses, and travel. I am guessing your jaw just dropped because even I know that is a whole lot of money. Let’s be serious here not many can actually just sign a check every year as if it were no big deal; Skidmore understands this. One of the things that is great about Skidmore is how amazing they are with financial assistance. There is no way I would have been able to attend Skidmroe if it were not for the financial help I have received. More than half of the student body receives some form of financial assistance. Skidmore College offers aid packages anywhere from $2,000 to a full packaged deal of $56,000. These packages are need based, in other words each student’s financial situation is reviewed. Based on their individual situation a package is created.

Skidmore College offers two merit- based scholarships (none for the athletics). The Porter Presidential Scholarships in Science and Mathematics ($15,000/yr) are awarded to students who have demonstrated outstanding achievement in science and/or math. The Filene Music Scholarships ($12,000/yr) are awarded who demonstrate outstanding musical talent. To be considered for these scholarships is as easy as checking a box when applying.

Everyone is encouraged to apply for financial aid. Skidmore also offers a number of loan and payment options. Something that I personally find very helpful is having a job. There are so many employment opportunities on campus there is no excuse not to have a job. You can work anywhere from the dining hall to admissions, you can even work for a department or any office on campus. Students who qualify for work study are required to work in the dining hall their first year. After the first year they may work wherever they’d like. Having the extra cash is so worth the 2-9 hour work week. Working on campus can also be a lot of fun. It is an additional way to meet people and you also get the opportunity to learn more about the faculty and staff members on campus. There are also great employment opportunities in town.

If it were not for the package Skidmore offered I really do not know what I would have done. And I would like to add everyone at the Financial Aid office is great. The staff is so friendly and extremely helpful. Every year I feel like I aske the same questions and somehow they all keep their patience.

Here is the link to the FA office.   http://cms.skidmore.edu/financialaid/

Hope that helps !