You’ve got questions–we’ve got answers!

Well, it’s that time of year again. High school seniors around the globe are preparing for college and getting applications ready. And you know what that means–questions! We’ve been getting a lot of great questions on Formspring and I wanted to share a few here.

Remember, you can ask a current student a question any time here. Trust me, they LOVE getting questions, so ask away!

I was also wondering what makes an applicant more likely to be accepted, e.i. if two students have the same grades and SAT/ACT scores, what would be the deciding factor between the two?

Hi there,

Recommendations for applying to Skidmore include the following:

1. A competitive high school transcript. By competitive, I mean we are looking for four years of the five major academic areas (Math, English, Sciences, Social Studies and Foreign Language) and an academically rigorous course load. The more rigorous your course load (AP and IB classes, for example), the more your transcript and application will stand out.

2. Your extracurricular activities. We are looking for well-rounded individuals who are involved in social, academic and community activities. We look at each applicant holistically, so if you can paint us a picture of your interests and passions, that certainly helps.

3. Competitive test scores. The range for successful applicants for SAT scores are as follows: SAT Critical Reading: 570 / 680, SAT Math: 580 / 690, SAT Writing: 580 / 690 and for ACT scores: ACT Composite: 26 / 30, ACT English: 26 / 32, ACT Math: 24 / 29, ACT Writing: 8 / 9.

4. Fit. By fit I mean we look for students who are creative, intelligent, socially and culturally aware, open-minded, and have active social lives. It’s hard to put a tangible number or characteristic on this, but if you believe Creative Thought Matters to your undergraduate experience, to the major you choose, and to the life paths you will take, then you should apply to Skidmore.

creative thought matters- how is this theme apparent in academic classes such as history or language?

Hello there!

This is an excellent question, thank you for asking it. I will begin by telling you that we try to embrace “Creative Thought Matters” (or CTM) in everything we do on campus from academics to co-curricular life.

In an academic case, like the one you’re asking about, I think the best way to answer this is to tell you about our interdisciplinary approach to teaching and learning. At Skidmore, if you’re interested in history or taking a language, you can combine and overlap, create and tailor your interests into these programs and turn them into careers.

For example, Andrew Bernstein ’07 (http://cms.skidmore.edu/ctw/participants.cfm?passID=77) was a history major while at Skidmore, but now, he’s the sports editor of a daily newspaper. He would tell you that “the History Department taught me to look beyond the obvious answer for more complete ideas and concepts. That practice of questioning — along with a host of research skills and the focus on writing that underlay everything we did in the History Department, informs my work at a newspaper every day.”

Additionally, our language department has a program called “Languages Across the Curriculum.” This program allows students with high intermediate to advanced competency to integrate foreign language to their study of disciplines commonly taught in English. How cool is that?

And lastly, I think the true embodiment of CTM in our academic program manifests itself int he self-determined major. So, say you can’t find the right amount of creativity in a program already on campus, we allow you to create your own while working with faculty and advisors. From combining art and biology ( like Courtney Mattison ’08: http://cms.skidmore.edu/ctw/participants.cfm?passID=217) to using exercise science to guide public health policy (like Johane Simelane ’13:http://cms.skidmore.edu/ctw/participants.cfm?passID=219), there is something for everyone!

I hope this answer helped, it certainly made me think!

What’s makes Skidmore the best choice for majoring in neuroscience?

Hi there,

This is an excellent question and I’m so excited to answer it!

First of all, let me say that neuroscience is one of the fastest growing majors here at Skidmore. We have an excellent commitment to the sciences and world-renowned faculty. For instance, Professor Flip Phillips was an integral part of Pixar’s (yes, that Pixar) animation team from the very beginning, he is doing amazing things with 3D perceptions and the brain here at Skidmore.

Additionally, I will tell you that even though you’re thinking about neuroscience now, Skidmore is the perfect place to explore different avenues. Studying science at a liberal arts school like Skidmore gives you the opportunity to build a strong foundation in other interests and passions while simultaneously pursuing neuroscience.

And lastly, I will tell you that the neuroscience program at Skidmore employs cross-disciplinary techniques that allow students to collaborate with faculty in biology and psychology and a wide variety of other departments. This program is well suited for students who wish to pursue a career in research as well as in a variety of health related fields.

You can find out more information about the neuroscience program here: http://cms.skidmore.edu/neuroscience/index.cfm and if you are interested in speaking with a neuroscience student, please e-mail me at dnordin@skidmore.edu and I will connect you with someone.

Thanks for the excellent question, I hope my answer helped!

Did I get to your question? If not, ask me!

0 Responses to “You’ve got questions–we’ve got answers!”

• No Comments