Position Description: The Membership Coordinator reports directly to the Director of Advancement and provides critical member services support to all AI programs (Audubon Cooperative Sanctuary Program (ACSP), ACSP for Golf, Audubon Signature/Classic Program, Audubon Green Lodging Program, Audubon Sustainable Communities Program). The incumbent assists with a variety of functions including: communicating with stakeholders about the benefits of membership and serving as a primary POC for general questions about membership, developing and updating educational materials, managing the organization’s membership database, generating/tracking invoices, serving as a spokesperson for the organization in various venues, answering calls from the public, and other duties as assigned.
Organization Overview: Audubon International is a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit environmental organization headquartered in the Albany area of upstate New York. The organization currently has 10 full-time, permanent staff members and is governed by a 9-member Board of Directors.
Audubon International’s mission is:
- To inspire people to act as stewards of nature where they live, work, and play
- To protect and enhance land, water, wildlife, and other natural resources
- To facilitate responsible environmental practices through education and recognition.
The organization, which has been in existence for over 25 years and is not affiliated with National Audubon, works with a wide range of interested partners, including golf courses, developers, agriculture producers, small businesses, large corporations, academic institutions, fellow not-for-profits, community associations, local governments, and state and federal agencies. Through education, technical assistance, certification, and recognition, Audubon International facilitates the implementation of natural resource management practices that ensure land, water, wildlife, and other natural resources are sustainably used and conserved. Utilizing a set of award-winning environmental education and certification programs, Audubon International is able to positively impact environmental health at multiple geographic scales, including individual properties, communities, and ecoregions.
The ACSP is an education and certification program that helps organizations and businesses protect our environment while enhancing their bottom line. The “plan-do-check-act” approach of the program offers information and guidance to implement an environmental management plan that improves efficiency, conserves resources, and promotes conservation efforts. Audubon International awards certification to publicly recognize and reward the environmental achievements and leadership of ACSP members.
The ACSP for Golf Courses is a widely recognized and highly-regarded education and certification program that helps protect our environment and preserve the natural heritage of the game of golf. The program serves as a valuable resource for golf courses by facilitating the conservation and restoration of wildlife habitat, enhancing environmental health, improving economic efficiency by reducing operating costs, minimizing potentially harmful impacts of golf course operations, and providing courses with valuable communications and marketing tools.
Audubon Signature Program
The Signature Program is an environmental education and conservation assistance program created to help landowners and managers follow comprehensive sustainable resource management principles when developing and managing properties. By working closely with planners, architects, managers, and key stakeholders, the Signature Program helps landowners and developers design for the environment so that both economic and environmental objectives are achieved and sustained in the long-term.
Audubon Green Lodging Program
The Green Lodging Program provides third-party verification that audited lodging facilities have met environmental best practice standards and have demonstrated a strong commitment to water quality, water conservation, waste minimization, resource conservation, and energy efficiency. Through a comprehensive and credible method for assessing the extent of the environmental measures undertaken, participating facilities can reduce environmentally-related costs and gain a marketing advantage.
Audubon Sustainable Communities Program
Audubon International’s Sustainable Communities Program uses incentive-based strategies to help whole communities become healthy and vibrant places in which to live, work, and play–both today and tomorrow. That vision is founded in the three pillars of sustainability–a healthy local environment, quality of life for citizens, and economic vitality. The program is tailored to each community to ensure that its specific values, goals, needs, and challenges are effectively addressed in a manner that simultaneously advances environmental health as measured by numerous sustainability indicators (i.e., wildlife habitat and biodiversity protection). Through the program, communities work with Audubon International to establish priorities, develop an overarching plan, and take action that leads to environmental benefits at the community level.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities:
- Outreach and Marketing
- Answer general public inquiries or put individuals in touch with appropriate program management staff member or external party (i.e., wildlife rehabilitator, NY DEC, etc.)
- Maintain all directories and greetings in the phone system
- Assist the Director of Advancement and program management personnel in the development and implementation of membership sales efforts
- Directly assist the Director of Advancement in the maintenance of AI’s relationships with property management companies
- Work with program managers to design/update membership material
- Support marketing and promotional efforts via coordination and execution of marketing initiatives as assigned.
- Assist with the development and implementation of member retention strategies
- Member Correspondence
- Answer members inquiries or forward member calls/emails to appropriate program management staff member
- Produce membership reports, and proofs and updates membership communications.
- Update membership data on website and in other functional systems.
- Prepare new member packets as needed for new members and staff talks
- Prepare renewal packets at the beginning of each week
- Complete certification requests – daily printing and packaging certificates of recognition for all members (including Signature and Classic)
- Call all new members and any orders placed for confirmation
- E-mail responses to general inquires and process requests for information
- Enter certification requests in a location (i.e., centralized database or Microsoft Office document) that all staff can access
- Coordinate and implement mass mailing efforts with appropriate AI personnel
- Maintain mailing machine and related equipment
- Educational Materials
- Organization and inventory of all materials
- In coordination with Special Projects Coordinator and other appropriate AI staff members, order professionally produced fact sheets, handbooks, and other publications
- Pick up printed material as needed
4. Business Office Assistance
- Process checks and enter payments into the database
Accept Credit card payments over the phone
- Screen online orders to be processed
- Keep inventory and store all catalog and online products and reorder as needed
- Event Coordination
- Assist the Director of Advancement and other AI staff as appropriate with on-site coordination
- Play an important support role coordinating transportation and meeting place logistics
6. Database Management and Recordkeeping
- Enter all new members into electronic database
- Process and mail renewal invoices for all programs
- Lapsed member mailings for all programs
- Maintain current data at all times
- Coordinate design and upkeep/maintenance of the database with the Special Projects Coordinator
- Ensure members are successfully receiving group email and contact member to obtain a new email address information where needed
- Ensure all members are able to access “Members Only” area of the official website, and provide new passwords when needed
- Maintain up-to-date electronic and physical member files
- Purge outdated hard copy member files where needed
- Digitize hard copy member files where needed
- A bachelor’s degree in an appropriate field of study (i.e., environmental studies, natural resource management, communications, business administration) and at least 3 years of related professional experience, OR a master’s degree in an appropriate field of study (i.e., environmental studies, natural resource management, communications, business administration) and at least 1 year of related professional experience.
- Must be genuinely passionate about the organization’s mission.
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills and experience working with diverse constituencies and membership demographics.
- Ability to excel both by working independently and as part of a collaborative team.
- Strong technical and persuasive writing skills.
- Computer proficiency (i.e., Microsoft Office suite, database management, internet-based research, professional applications of social media)
- Familiarity with GIS is desirable.
- Knowledge and/or professional experience in golf course management is desirable.
- Pre-existing professional connections in the golf industry is desirable.
Compensation: This is a full-time, permanent position. Audubon International offers a mission-driven work environment that promotes continued employee growth and development. The organization offers its employees a strong compensation package, including competitive salary, excellent health benefits, retirement benefits, and generous vacation.
Deadline for Application: November 18, 2013
How to Apply:
Submitted applications will be reviewed upon receipt and must include the following:
- Cover letter summarizing the candidate’s qualifications for the position, including a description of how prior educational training, experience and skills prepare the candidate to fulfill the job responsibilities detailed above
- Curriculum vitae or resume
- Contact information (name, job title, phone and email) for 3-5 professional references
- Writing sample (5 pages maximum) which demonstrates analytical reasoning skills and ability to communicate technical concepts or analysis to a non-technical audience
- Application materials should be submitted via e-mail to email@example.com with the job title and your name in the subject line (i.e., Membership Coordinator – Jane Smith)
Audubon International is an equal opportunity employer committed to practices that ensure employees and applicants for employment are provided with equal opportunities without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information or any other factor that is not related to the position.