Our organization: Cultivating Community, based in Portland, Maine and active in greater Portland and Lewiston, is committed to growing sustainable communities in three ways: by feeding our hungry, empowering our families, and healing our planet.
Position: Assistant for Youth Growers and Grow Interns, two summer programs for teens to participate in growing, harvesting, delivering and cooking fruits and vegetables. Youth learn about and address issues of food justice in their community through garden work, cooking healthy meals, volunteering with emergency food programs, delivering produce to seniors and visiting local farms. Intern will assist with all aspects of this program and have the opportunity to share their personal experience and expertise.
Timeframe: End of May/Beginning of June- ideally through end of August. Regular hours are M-TH 8-4 PM and Fridays 8-12.
- Assist with daily programming such as garden work, delivering produce, volunteering and field trips
- Create 1-4 workshops for teens around topics relevant to them
- Complete assigned garden tasks such as watering, weeding, etc.
Qualifications, Education & Experience
- Demonstrated interest in nutrition, food justice and sustainable agriculture
- Able to work outdoors in hot and rainy conditions
- Comfortable working with English Language Learners
- Comfortable stepping back when appropriate and allowing teens to take the lead
- Flexible, creative and a good sense of humor
- Excellent communication and organization skills
- Works well independently and as part of a team
Location: This position is based in our Portland, Maine office: 52 Mayo St.
Weekly vegetable share
Experience working with a non-profit, youth development organization
Experience working in urban and sustainable agriculture
Two tickets to a farm to table meal
A fun, rewarding summer working outdoors with teens!
How to Apply: Interested applicants should submit a letter of interest, resume, and contact information for at least three references to email@example.com with “Summer Youth Program Assistant” in the subject line. Applications can also be sent via U.S. Mail to:
P.O. Box 3792
Portland, ME 04104
The letter of interest should explain your qualifications and your interest in the position. People from the communities in which we work (Cumberland and Androscoggin Counties, Maine with a key focus in Maine’s refugee communities) are particularly encouraged to apply. If you submit your application electronically, please do NOT send a duplicate paper submission.
Many of our summer interns find funding through their schools or other fellowship programs such as the Forest Foundation. Please let us know if you are interested and need assistance looking for funding. Also ask your career center for information about summer internship funds.