You asked: is there stuff to do nearby? do a lot of people go home over the weekends?

Skidmore College by no means is a “suitcase” campus. On Friday afternoons students are not eagerly looking at the clock waiting to be dismissed so they can pack their suitcase and go home. There is so much to do on campus and off campus that students enjoy sticking around for the weekends. I myself like to joke how I have not been home since I first arrived at Skidmore. On campus, every night of the week there is an event going on anything from lectures to concerts and parties. Saratoga is a great location. It is a town that can survive on its own, it does not need Skidmore students to flourish. There are tons of restaurants– everything from Italian to Asian cuisine, adorable shops, an art district, a mall and the list goes on. What is amazing is that all this continues during the summer. Summer Saratoga includes performances at the Saratoga Arts Center, Arts Festival, and the racetrack. And for the outdoorsy types, the Adirondack mountains are about 20 minutes north; a great place to do some hiking, camping and even snow sports.
SO MUCH TO DO. YOU WILL NOT GO HOME … EVER !! warn your parents.