What makes an ideal job candidate? Of course, top candidates need to have the requisite major and GPA, and relevant work experience, but it’s their soft skills that make them ideal.
In terms of the skills that differentiate candidates, employers responding to NACE’s Job Outlook 2013 say they want good communicators who can make decisions and solve problems while working effectively as part of a team.
Following are the top-10 skills and qualities employers seek in their job candidates:
The Top-10 Candidate Skills/Qualities Employers Seek
- Ability to verbally communicate with persons inside and outside the organization
- Ability to work in a team structure
- Ability to make decisions and solve problems
- Ability to plan, organize, and prioritize work
- Ability to obtain and process information
- Ability to analyze quantitative data
- Technical knowledge related to the job
- Proficiency with computer software programs
- Ability to create and/or edit written reports
- Ability to sell or influence others
Source: Job Outlook 2013, National Association of Colleges and Employers
For an infographic titled “Employers Rate Candidate Skills/Qualities” see www.naceweb.org/infographics/employers-rate-candidate-skills-qualities.aspx.