Summer 2014 Internship Program
Position Description: Morgan Stanley’s Fixed Income & Commodities Division assesses and actively manages risk, trades securities, and structures as well as executes innovative transactions in the fast-paced and constantly changing global markets. The team comprises four groups: Commodities (such as energy and metals trading worldwide); Macro Trading which includes interest rate and currency products; Credit Trading, which covers a variety of credit-related securities, derivatives and loans; a Securitized Products Group involved in trading and structuring of asset-backed securities and derivatives; and Distribution, whose salespeople help institutional clients to achieve their investment objectives and access the rest of the firm. Fixed Income Research works closely with our traders and sales people to analyze trends and strategies for clients to use.
Placement and Duration: The Sales & Trading Fixed Income Summer Analyst Program is 10 weeks, beginning with one week of classroom training, followed by placement on a Fixed Income desk in Global Credit & Municipals, Securitized Products, Foreign Exchange/Emerging Markets, Interest Rates, Fixed Income Research, or Commodities. Most Summer Analysts are based in New York City, though some may be based in Westchester, Chicago and San Francisco. The program typically features senior management speaker series, product area training, networking events, community service, a performance review, and a mentorship program. Summer Analysts receive continued on-the-job training throughout the program, allowing them to acquire an in depth understanding of the role a Full-Time Analyst can play.
Training Program: Summer Analysts begin with a one-day orientation where they are introduced to the firm’s businesses and learn what it’s like to be an employee at Morgan Stanley. Fixed Income Summer Analysts then attend Sales & Trading divisional-specific training where they learn core skills essential for success. The curriculum includes daily market updates, business-specific overviews, and basic product and technical training.
- Sales: develop client base by forming long-term relationships; create investment ideas; sell and cross sell the firm’s products; represent the firm when interfacing with clients on important business issues.
- Trading: generate trading ideas and analysis; support all aspects of the market making trade execution process, from providing research analytics on trades to relative value analysis.
- Strategy: develop investment recommendations on Fixed Income Securities through the study of market fundamentals and technical research.
- Structuring: build computational models to help issuers and investors optimize a transaction’s economics, and quantify sources of value and risk.
SKIDMORE ALUMNI LISTING: JR McDermott ’89
- You are pursuing an undergraduate or Masters degree; generally as a junior, with a minimum 3.2 GPA.
- You have advanced knowledge of Excel (preferred).
- You have basic knowledge and a keen interest in finance.
- You are analytical, quantitative, insightful, adaptive, a quick learner, leader, team player, multi-tasker and possess a strong work ethic, as well as strong oral and written communication skills, with a positive attitude and compelling interest in the financial markets, specifically for fixed income.
Deadline to Apply: Applicants must submit a resume and cover letter though My CDC Account by January 24, 11:59 PM. Applicants must also apply through the Morgan Stanley website by visiting: www.morganstanley.com/careers.
Interview Process: First-round interviews will be taking place at Skidmore College on January 31 with final-round interviews taking place on February 13 at Morgan Stanley offices in New York.