Week 7

WORD OF THE DAY: Quotidien- daily

I know it’s cheesy to say, but I can’t believe we’re already on week 7. I’ve been traveling for so long now that my life abroad has reached about the same level of normalcy that I had at home, but I still try everyday to take a moment to appreciate how fortunate I am that this has been my life for the past 7 months and counting. Not every day is jam-packed with adventure; today I ventured outside my apartment once to go across the street to a bakery for my new favorite desert: raspberry macaroons.

But yesterday, I had the opportunity to be an audience member on Quotidien! It’s the French Daily Show, (literally, since you know now that quotidien is the french word for daily)

We were on french tv!

The french host of the daily show is super short in real life, and he wears sneakers with his suit! I think it’s because he does his whole show from behind a desk, so he doesn’t need to wear formal shoes. I would try to find pictures; you can actually see Sadiq very well in most of the close ups of the guests, but it’s a pretty new episode, so I’ll just have to tell you what it was like.

We waited in a room for about an hour before someone who I think was a producer led us into the main room where the show tapes. It’s a circular room with the bleachers that we sat on circling Yann Barthès, the host’s desk. There were several, pre-taped clips that we were expected to be silent for (Barthès even gestured at us to shut up during one of them because we all laughed). The three guests for the day were Greta Thunberg, the 16 year-old, Swedish girl who is now the global face of the movement to stop Climate Change, Stephan Eicher, a Swiss singer, and Tony Estanguet, the commissioner for the Paris 2024 Olympics.

It was tiring to sit cramped on the bleachers for long periods of time, but this was such a cool experience. At the beginning of the semester when we got our calendars, I knew that this would be something that I really wanted to do, and I’m so glad that I got to do it.

My friends and I are spending the day in Rouen tomorrow. It’s a medieval-looking town in Normandy where Joan of Arc was burned at the stake by the British after ending the Hundred Years War. I’m excited to see the Cathedral and to get a new fridge magnet for my collection. I’d show you my collection, but I left all the ones I got in Italy behind in Washington DC when I went home for the holidays.

So there you have it; another week is done. I know I don’t speak often of my classes, but I want to stress that I am learning a lot in them, even if they can sometimes be quite frustrating. I, along with everyone else, tends to get quite hungry during class because the majority of us have back to back classes through lunch time.But I’m trying really hard not to complain about that; we are, after all, here to study French; all of the travelling and exploring Paris is a happy bonus. I will try and show you more pictures of Paris next week. It is more difficult than you would expect to visit the big tourist attractions during the day on the weekend, as France is nearing the end of its 15th (I believe) week of Yellow Vest protests over fuel prices. That’s an entirely different can of worms to open, that I think I’ll try and talk about more next week. In the meantime, I’m ready to spend a day exploring the cute little town of Rouen.

À bientôt,

Elizabeth