Leaving Berlin

By the time this post is up, I will be a few days into my short stay in Poland, and assume I will be missing Berlin!

Even though my homestay was tough, and classes still aren’t my favourite, I have really loved staying in Berlin. For my final few days here, I decided to finally check a few things off my list and began to explore some new things!!!

A view of the gate, and the memorial for the murdered jews in europe from the dome!

First, I visited the Bundestag. The Bundestag is the glass dome that sits above the building housing the german parliament. It is free to visitors, as long as you reserve your space far enough in advance. I reserved my visit a few days after I got to Berlin, and being able to go experience this beautiful architecture and view at the end of my time felt like the perfect way to close out my trip. In order to get in, I had to go through 3 different security checks, up an elevator with 40 other people, and through a small information room, but was met with stunning views of Berlin, and this beautifully constructed dome. And luckily, I picked a perfect day!!! It was about 80 degrees on the street, but being elevated and having an extra breeze left the temperature just perfect for my liking. Being able to see this at the end was also a great plan, as by the time I was up and looking at the views of the city below me, I was able to recognize many of the buildings, parks, neighborhoods and monuments down below. This allowed me to appreciate the proximity and set up of the city in a way I don’t think I would have been able to earlier on.

A terrible photo but the only one I have of the markthalle

After my visit to the Bundestag, I made my way back to Kreuzberg, got an incredible vegan donut, and slowly walked home along the canal. To top off my day, I went to a weekly event held at a markthalle near my apartment, where I was able to try so many different types of food, and was reminded of the Boston Public Market!!

My half was a simple pizza with fresh mozzarella, cherry tomatos, and arugula, while kevin got his with corn, red onion, spinach and mushrooms without cheese!

The last thing I have done before leaving Berlin was getting pizza at this adorable stand right near our apartment. For only 5 euros one of my classmates and I split this amazing entire pizza, and a 2.5 euro lunch sounds pretty great to me!

Kevin insisted on taking this photo of me waiting for our pizza!!

Soon, I will be in Krakow, and am excited for the change of pace, but am sad to leave this city in which I feel so at home.