Frying the Berg

Taking on Germany's Green City

Vauban Sommerfest

Hi, everyone!

Yesterday was Vauban’s Sommerfest, which is one of the most anticipated events of the summer. Each student housing community has its own “Sommerfest” (“Summer festival”), but it has been argued that Vauban’s is the best one. It was happening literally right outside my building! The theme for the festival was Alice in Wonderland. There was a lot of food, drinks, and, of course, music (seriously, they had a lawn dedicated to techno music…). It was a lot of fun! Lots of people showed up to the event; it went from 11 am to 11 pm.  It was a bit like Fun Day at Skidmore, actually! Made me miss campus a little bit. Vauban is the sustainable community in Freiburg, and it really embraces the “hippie/alternative” from the 60s and 70s. I mean, people walk around barefoot, play guitar on the lawn and go to demonstrations demanding a fossil fuel phase-out.

There was one thing that kind of made me uncomfortable, though. I’ve probably said this in a previous post, but there are a lot of non-black people here to wear “locs”. Most of them are the “alternative” types who think it’s really cool. However, I would argue that it’s a form of cultural appropriation. White people don’t have to live with the stigma that comes with them, so in my opinion, they shouldn’t wear them. I was literally surrounded by such people at the festival, and then even had a station called “Wonder-Locks” where people were getting it done for free. I have no personal beef with people who do it, but I do think that ignorance plays a major role. This is something I have had to explain to my fellow Americans as well as Germans, so I’m not really surprised.

I’m starting to miss the U.S. a bit more, now, but I’m still not ready to go back. My classes next semester have got me really excited, and I’m starting on post-grad applications. I definitely want to come back to Germany in the future.

~Derrick

“Wonder-Locks” sign

1 Comment

1. Love, Derrick…….I am a true fan of yours! I am SO PROUD OF YOU! Keep up THE AMAZING work. I have to catch up. So far, very interesting to read and to learn about Germany from someone I know experience! Keep it coming!