What to Do on Beautiful Days in the Middle of Winter

A List of Ten (10) Mid-Winter Gorgeous Day Activities

A definition of “midwinter gorgeous”: An out-of-the-blue day in the middle of winter, after a snow storm in particular, where the weather is perfect and warm and almost springlike but not quite.

1. Sleep.

2. Laugh.

3. Read.

4. Have a snowball fight in shorts and a t-shirt.

5. Drink your morning coffee on Case Walkway overlooking South Lawn and the Tang.

6. Go for a run.

7.  Go to town with some friends and walk around (that’s what I did, it was a blast…more on that in a second.)

8. Walk around campus.

9. Wear a sweater and no jacket and not be cold.

10. Write.

Today was an absolutely spectacular post-snowstorm day. I woke up around 10:30, early for a weekend. I went for a mile’s run, showered, and hopped the bus in town. I met a few friends on the bus and we rode together. Once in town, I treated myself to a Venti Peppermint Mocha at Starbucks and met up with two of my best friends, Alexia and Emma. Then we walked around town and sold some ads for the theatre department main stage program this semester. It was really a great time. We took a break about halfway through to get me some lunch. I ate my favorite sandwich from Putnam Market: the Karista.The Karista is a baguette with pesto mayo, roasted red peppers and fresh mozzarella. It was absolutely delicious and is the best sandwich ever of all time anywhere on earth. I love it. After that, we walked around town some more and then hopped the bus home. After that, I had some rehearsing to do for acting class and am now relaxing before going to my friend Nikki’s Northwoods house for dinner and a movie. Shakespeare in Love? Never seen it, should be nice and the food will be deelish I’m surely sure.

Meow.

This reminds me of the time in my youth when I was in a production of Guys and Dolls. I played Arvide, the grandpa/weird uncle to Sarah Brown, the lead ingenue role. I had this enormous drum hanging off of the front of my shoulders in the least comfortable way possible. We entered from the back of the auditorium in a straight line and climbed the stairs to the stage. One of the nights, the last night I believe, my enormous drum strap broke, and the drum hit the girl with the tuba in front of me. She fell up the stairs. I fixed my drum strap and went through the rest of the show without a hitch and rocked my solo like it wasn’t no thang. It was a thang though, the best thang that show had. And anyways, the cast party went as well as a party made of eighth and seventh graders could and we went along with our merry lives. The next Wednesday, Tuba Girl shows up to school with a back brace over her uniform (13 years of Catholic uniform education lawlz) and I’m like WTH and her mom comes and finds me and yells at me. Blaming me for her daughters back problems. LOL Tuba Girl recently lost like 2/3 of her body weight in the past two years. Good for her. But still, a little nudge with a drum can’t cause a back brace to become a necessity. Ugh. Drama at drama club. Eighth grade drama. I haven’t seen Tuba Girl in a long time. I just defriended her on Facebook, actually. Well not just defriended her. Like a year ago or so.