You Know That Thing Where You Only Listen to Sad Showtunes?

Hi friends!

Well, free time. It’s weird. Now that Polaroid Stories is over, I have lots of free time and it feels really weird. Like, not empty, because I still have work to do and stuff. It just feels weird. Working extremely intimately with fifteen people or so for five to six hours a night for six weeks and then just stopping that very suddenly – it’s weird. So I’ve been getting some writing done, and some reading done, and I watched Beasts of the Southern Wild on Saturday night, and I’ve been listening to lots of sad showtunes and minimalist music and the new Head and the Heart album, which is very fabulous and wonderful and makes me feel like I’m in a quirky indie movie while walking to class. I am quirky and indie. I also wrote a stage direction in my new play that reads, “Somewhere, miles and miles away, an orchestra starts to play their version of ‘Woodstock’ by Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young. We can’t hear it, but the idea that it’s happening is wonderful, isn’t it?” WHAT DOES MY BRAIN MEAN.

What a weekend I had though – Anne Bogart, one of my theatrical idols, came and did a physically and intellectually exhausting workshop in which the six groups each created a small devised theatre piece. IT WAS AMAZING. And I’m still reeling. She told me I have great spirit, and her partner in crime for the weekend, famous experimental choreographer Barney O’Hanlon thought I was funny. SO BLESSED. But seriously, the worst part of this weekend was that I wasn’t able to get her to sign my copy of one of her books, and it was only because I forgot it. It was great that Anne Bogart was able to come, thanks to this awesome annual artists’ residency program that the McCormack family (I don’t know who they are, but they’re my heroes now, so…) sponsors at the college. Love them. Love Anne. Love theatre.

Also, this weekend was Spectrum, this semester’s Pride Alliance dance. Let me remind you, please, that I’ve got the gay, so this weekend was like an even glitterier version of Christmas. And and and, the theme of the dance was space. So basically, I dressed like I normally do when I wanna look fresh, put on my Lady Gaga (by the way, ARTPOP leaked in full, and I can’t decide if I have a full love or a full hatred for the album because it’s so all over the place, literally the Amanda Bynes of pop music right now) stunner shades, and walked around at the dance with my friends, just yelling “Look at me, I’m in SPAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAaaaAAACE!” This was Saturday, when we had the workshop from 1pm to 4pm. Then I watched Beasts of the Southern Wild which made me want to try catfish, and then went to the dance. National holidays are exciting. I love school-sponsored dances, especially when they’re so LGBTQ+ friendly. Skidmore is such an open campus when it comes to this stuff. But Spectrum is just great, it’s “our night,” and as someone who never had that type of night in high school or anything even close to it (hashtag conservative catholic school) Spectrum is really special. Being able to be so open about being myself is really special. I love Skidmore.

Today was my theater production midterm and I can happily say that I got a perfect score because I am perfect. (AND I HAVE GREAT SPIRIT, ACCORDING TO A FAMOUS DIRECTOR.) After that, it was nice to have some free time, so one of my besties, Robin, and I went downtown for a date. She and I might as well be dating. I call her my boyfriend. We went to Starbucks, where I worked on my new play and researched 19th Century Russian names and dances. Then we went to Comfort Kitchen, which was DELICIOUS.  I’d never been there. Just had a burger and some tots, and a ginger beer (it’s NOT ALCOHOLIC) which is good because you can never find delicious ginger beer anywhere outside of Hogsmeade. Hashtag you’re a wizard Harry.

Then, I saw a theatre workshop production, which was good. After that, it was straight to the dance theater for me, where I was working with a choreographer to design the lights for her dance piece that I’m setting. It’s a really cool collaboration between classes – Choreo II and Dance Production. I wish more theater and gender studies courses collaborated with each other within the majors. But it’s really a great experience to have – to be so encouraged to collaborate. I love it. Iconopop.

I guess that’s where I’m at right now. I’ll try and write with greater frequency now that Polaroid Stories is over.

If you’re reading this and are going to be participating in the live chat tomorrow – I’LL BE ON. LIKE DONKEY KONG. OR A LIGHT SWITCH. OR LIKE THE STUFFING MACHINES AT BUILD-A-BEAR WORKSHOP ALWAYS ON ALWAYS CHURNING THE FUR THE FLUFF THE LIFE FORCES OF THE BEARS. SO BLESSED.

Mwa!