A Very Good Place to Start: the first journal entries 12/29/13-1/2/13

Hi friends,

Since we’re starting a new chapter of my education and of my life…

Let’s start from the very beginning.

A very good place to start.

My name is Kevin Gagen Berry.

I am a junior at Skidmore College in upstate New York.

I am a theater and gender studies double major.

This is the blog I run as a part of my job for Skidmore Communications.

I’ve been writing it for the past two and a half years and I love it.

I love being alive.

I’m sitting in my bedroom in Rockville Centre, New York, right now, listening to a podcast conversation/interview/thing about a theatre artist named Daniel Alexander Jones.

In just under 5 days, I am leaving behind everything and everyone I love to move to London for six months, where I’ll be studying at Goldsmiths, University of London.

And I’m absolutely scared.

I’ve gone on a roller coaster of emotions over the past few months – from the inevitable excitement that came along with my inevitable acceptance into the program to the feeling of being overwhelmed with all of the forms and the papers to sign with my acceptance packet, from the nervousness about living across the ocean for six months and missing my three closest friends’ college graduation to the “annoying-ness” (word I made up because I couldn’t think of the right word but oh well, if quidditch is in the Oxford Dictionary, then I can make up a word too) of the lame duck period between moving out of my dorm at the end of the semester and my flight’s takeoff next Tuesday. I’m scared, happy, excited, nervous, sad, anxious, pumped, pimped, prepared, unprepared, a child, ready to learn, ready to go.

I was crying on my last night on campus, when I said goodbye to my friend Sydney, also a #SS2S blogger, and I cried a lot in my last two weeks on campus, so I have to specify which occasion of weeping this was, ya feel me?, and I cried/moaned/sobbed

“I’M NOT READY”

And Sydney said, “you’re not ready for anything until you do it. You’re not ready until you commit.” So I guess I really have been ready all along, when I committed by sending my application acceptance deposit in, and that I’ve just been coming to terms with being ready, if that makes any sense.

So, this notebook (blog). The notebok I’m writing in has the British flag on the cover and I made the theme of my blog match appropriately. Once I get to London, I’ll be writing in my journals every day, as much as possible, about as much as possible, about my experiences – theatre, classes, the people, the clubs, the pubs, the food, the travel, The Royal Family. I’ll be as honest as I can be, and then post versions of my posts on my blog.

I have 5 notebooks – daily journal, food and drink, theatre, travel, and “other.”

So that’s that.

***

Have I started packing yet? Absolutely not. I leave in five days from today. Which is weird, so weird. So much to do in so little time. Seems like such a short interval of time – five days – but so much is happening between now and then. Today, I’m in the city for lunch with my friend Julia and to see my friend Robin and then to get dinner and see Kinky Boots, the musical, with my family. Tomorrow (Friday) I’m seeing my friends Lily and ¬†Sophie, if the huge snow storm doesn’t get in our way. ¬†Saturday I need to run around and go shopping with my sister to get items before I leave. I pack on Saturday, Sunday, Monday. Sunday, my friends Alexia, Laura, and Gab are coming over for my last homemade dinner in America. On Monday, we’re going to my favorite restaurant in town for my last supper. And then on Tuesday, I ship off. ISN’T THAT WEIRD? It’s weird.

These last two days [Dec 30 – Jan 1] I was in Massachusetts at one of my friend’s homes for New Year’s. Emily was in Berlin this semester, and we had to fit an entire school year’s worth of shenanigans into three days. It was a blast, and I got to see Emily’s friends, and our friends Gina and Emma. It was so fun.

Yea.

So that’s where I’m at, I think.

I’m looking forward to England.

This’ll probably be my last post for a while that ends with “Measure in Love” SO CHERISH THIS OKAY? CHERISH IT.

Kev.