11 Days Later…UPDATES UPDATES UPDATES

Hi friends!

Whoa, so sorry about not writing in a while! In case you did know, I’ve been in London. Doing things. Seeing theatre.

Updates:

***

1/14/2014

Dear Frazer –

I’m so stressed out. The laundry machine here makes me want to cry. Absolutely baffling. Makes no sense. I have to air dry all of my stuff since apparently the dryers are not to be trusted. It’s very overwhelming. Not being put together. For some reason I find having clothes hanging all over my room very stressful. It’s the worst ending to a great day.

I woke up late, which was stupid of me. I meant to get up at 9am but woke up at 12:30 but I didn’t miss anything since I didn’t have class until 3pm. I just didn’t get to work out. My class today, British and American Musical Theatre (BAMT) was AWESOME. We discussed West Side Story as the perfect musical theatre collaboration. Then I came home and made dinner. Then the laundry situation started which made me feel like crying but at least I know what to expect for next time. Tonight I’m going to the pub with Alfred and the Norwegians (sounds like a fun band). Tomorrow two classes and another play.

***

1/15/2014

SKIPPED DAY BECAUSE SLEEPY

***

1/16/2014

Dear Frazer –

Sorry I didn’t write yesterday. The day went on longer than intended.

I woke up early and went to the gym and ran an invigorating 6.5 miles. Then I had breakfast and went to class –

Acting in London was very intense and honestly, a bit upsetting. We did a very emotional sense memory exercise (the classic “imagine lemons and you will smell lemons” exercise, but on steroids and multiplied by 100). After acting I jetted home to shower and make the fastest dinner I’ve ever cooked – chicken, avo, goat cheese wrap. Then to London Theatre, which has two gals in it who are my worst nightmare: pseudo-psycho-intellectuals.We went to see a play called Fijiland which was INTENSE and BOLD. Oh man. Then, I came home, got into bed, only to have Cloud call me to tell me to get into clubbing clothes. There’s a nightclub on campus, which is very strange for me. I mean, at Skidmore, we have Falstaffs, but this isn’t a house in the woods. The Club is a legit club. It was really fun and I danced a LOT. Sore legs the next morning.

I woke up at 9:30 and Angela, Cloud, Alfred and I all headed to the Tower of London. But we didn’t go in, because it was a bit expensive, and we only had two hours to spend in there. So we got lunch and walked around all day and saw some of the sights. It was a blast! We got a small dinner and then Alfred and I went to see The Wind in the Willows, a dance theatre piece on the West End. It was SO adorable and sweet and I cried more than I expected to.

Now I’m in Cloud and Angela’s kitchen, drinking tea and planning our Scotland trip for reading week. [Note: this trip is now just me and Cloud, and instead of Scotland, we’re going to Portugal.]

Tomorrow, Cloud and I are going to the V&A and to see the Dinosaurs at Natural History and I’m seeing The Drowned Man for the second time!

***

1/17/2014

Dear Frazer –

What a long day! I have to be brief! I’m sorry!

Woke up!

Went to the V&A! It was overwhelmingly large!

Went to Natural History Museum!

Then walked through the GORGEOUS Hyde Park to Paddington!

I met up with Beck Krefting, my gender studies advisor and friend and professor at Skidmore for a pint before we saw The Drowned Man!

Even better the second time around!

Now I’m home and Cloud and Alfred and Angela and Davey told me to hurry up to their flat ASAP!

***

1/18/2014

Dear Frazer –

I’ll sleep when I’m dead am I right?

After being up late with the Dream Team last night, I got three hours of sleep before waking up to TREK to Angel (a neighborhood in the city, there’s also a hood called Collins and one called Mimi and one called Mark and one called Brain Aneurysm – INSENSITIVE JOKES ABOUT RENT THE MUSICAL I’M SO SORRY) to get online for tickets to American Psycho the Musical. The line was too long, so we walked to King’s Cross and tubed it over to Leicester Square and got tickets to War Horse and The Woman in Black. We were so loopy, and waited for the shows at a Caffe Nero.

Then War Horse happened. I cried. The entire show. It. Was. Perfect. I cried for three hours, including the entire interval. Like silent sobbing. I don’t know why. I just love emotional 20th century period pieces with a strong female lead. The lead was a horse, but you catch the drift. It was so beautiful. I cried more than I have in a long time at the theatre. HASHTAG CATHARSIS EMOTIONS.

Then we got dinner and saw The Woman in Black which was bizarre.

Alright, I’m knackered, I should sleep.

***

1/19/2014

Dear Frazer –

Hi! How are you? I’m great, so great.

I woke up at 3pm today, which was stupid of me, considering I meant to wake up at 11am. I went to Central and got dinner with a friend by the Globe. Then I came home and had had tea with Cloud and Skyped with the family.

I know my entries haven’t been too long lately, but it – life here – seems to be normalizing a bit, and so the experiences I am having are becoming less new and more a part of every day life. I’ve even started to discern between the different regional accents and am able to understand even the roughest ones. I like it here.

***

1/20/2014

Dear Frazer –

Tonight I saw a play called Strangers on a Train. it was wonderful and creepy and spooky. The production value on theatre here is so much higher than it is in New York. It’s incredible really, how much respect is given to the arts in London. Really inspiring.

It’s 2:29am.

I’m so happy.

***

1/21/2014

Dear Frazer –

Again, not much happened today. Life normalized.

Woke up late.

Cooked.

Went to class.

Went to the theatre. Opening night of The Weir on the West End! It was awesome.

Crazy. So many celebs.

Crazy wonderful play too.

Now I’m home, and heading out to my friend Nick’s.

Fun!

Long day tomorrow!

***

1/22/2014

Dear Frazer –

Overslept class by 23 minutes today. Yikes. I ran to class and joined in and had an AWESOME class. I learned so much about acting. Afterwards, I gallavanted home and ate my leftover curry from when I cooked the other night. Showered. Went to London Theatre for class. We had a really pretentious discussion. With class, tonight, we saw The Drowned Man for my THIRD time. INCREDIBLE OH MY GOD THIS SHOW JUST KEEPS GETTING BETTER AND BETTER AND BETTER AND BETTER AND BETTER I CAN’T BREATHE OH MAN. I have tickets to see it three more times. Tomorrow, I’m having a rest day before going to the theatre.

***

1/23/2014

Dear Frazer –

Today was good! Woke up at 10am, worked out, showered, and started my laundry! Then I went to lunch with my friend Xena and her friend Oli, which was really fun! I had a GIGANTIC burger with cheddar and avo. I like that I’m making friends beyond the Dream Team. It’s nice to not have to rely on other people to make my friends for me if that makes sense. After my giant burger, I finished my laundry which was less overwhelming this time around. Then I headed out for the second worst night at the theatre I’ve had so far.

Now I’m drinking tea and FaceTiming a lot of people in my room. My room is an ICEBOX.

No plans tomorrow. Maybe a museum. Who knows?

***

1/24/2014

Dear Frazer –

So tired.

Will write tomorrow.

***

1/25/2014

THIS IS A LIVE ENTRY, I’M TYPING IT UP AS I THINK.

THIS IS KEVIN GAGEN BERRY COMING TO YOU live Live LIVE FROM THE LYTTLETON LOBBY OF THE NATIONAL THEATRE OF ENGLAND. I’VE BEEN SITTING HERE FOR TWO HOURS HAVING A GRAND TIME PEOPLE WATCHING. CLOUD WENT TO A GALLERY TO LET ME GET SOME HOMEWORK AND TRANSCRIBING OF JOURNAL ENTRIES INTO BLOG ENTRIES DONE. WE ARE GOING TO GET FOOD SO SOON AND I AM SO HUNGRY I THINK I COULD PASS OUT. HOPEFULLY SEEING A GERMAN EXPRESSIONIST PLAY TONIGHT? #DEUTSCHLAND. I REALLY LOVE IT HERE.

monday i am seeing a play by jez butterworth starring rupert grint from harry potter, brendan coyle from downton abbey, and bemn whishaw who everyone loves but idk who he is. tuesday i’m seeing an immersive theatre piece based on the short plays of tennessee williams. wednesday, blurred lines here at the national by nick payne, an up and coming playwright here in the uk. thursday i’m going to RENT IN CONCERT where i am sitting in the front row and will be crying the entire time and reliving my 15 year old closeted gay adolescence. basically i’ll be crying 525600 minutes viva la vie am i right? and then friday i’m seeing The Drowned Man for the 4th time. MAD RESPECT FOR THAT PRODUCTION.

I tried to upload some pics but I need stronger WiFi (pronounced WeeFee here by the way like what the heck is that?). I’ll upload some when I get home/when I remember.

Love you all and miss you.

Cheers,

Kev.