300th Post

Hi friends!

Holy heck has it been a long time. So much has happened.

When we last left off, it was the close of last semester. And now look at me, I’m a senior in my second semester, and I’m gonna fly! I’m gonna get out of this one-light town, Mama, and I’m gonna fly. I’m gonna FLY, and you and Papa, you and Papa, Mama, you ain’t never gonna stop me.

Well, Senior Fall happened, didn’t it. My sister came to visit at the end of the semester, to see my Collaborations Class Final Performance, which we called Awake(n): a surrealist circus. We threw it together last minute after our first draft of the piece was categorically ripped apart by our professors. The final draft was a massive, semi-immersive show, and was actually a total hit.

After that, it was just straight writing during finals week: I wrote a 30 page capstone in Gender Studies, which I did very well on, and two 15 page papers. 60 pages of writing. Wow!

So I got home on December 18th or 17th or something and climbed into bed until 2015. Not really. I actually was v busy with mad family things, like Christmas and Christmas Day. Have you ever celebrated Christmas? Is this an inappropriate question for a distinctly secular bloggy-blog? For New Year’s Eve, I celebrated in Brooklyn with a gaggle of graduates from Skidmore, and it was a total hit and a half.

I saw some cool theatre over break, and some very bad theatre, too. Oh well.

After the New Year, I hung out at home, mostly, and then went to Chicago! What the heck! I was there for a week and it was amazing. I stayed with my friend from my hometown, Jeremy, but he was always at work while I was out there, so I didn’t see too too much of him. Anyway, being out there gave me the opportunity to experience the following: deep dish pizza, the amazing and welcoming Chicago theatre scene, blistering cold, the Art Institute of Chicago and my favorite painting by Georges Seurat, Sears Tower’s Skydeck at Sunset which was JAWDROPPING, what it feels like to have your tears freeze, some really cool neighborhoods, and the strongest and most pretentious cup of coffee I’ve ever had. I packed way too much into the six days I was there, but it was so worth it, and a great city to consider moving to once I graduate in May! Eek!

Otherwise, break was pretty restful, if you count SEVERAL panic attacks brought on by Breaking Bad which I am finally catching with modern times and realizing how fantastic the story and cinematography and acting are like wow what masters and evil geniuses.

When I got back to campus, I realized how fun my class schedule is this semester: I’m taking Feminist Performance Art which is cool, American Gangster Film and Theatre and Culture II both of which are taught by my hero and main man Gautam Dasgupta. In addition, I’m taking Senior Theatre Company which requires I take on a leadership position in the department, and doing an independent study in Drag Performance Theory with my gender studies advisor, the joyful and incredible Kate Graney.

This seems like a lot, but it’s very manageable, compared with my final class, which is technically an independent study. My Senior Thesis in Theatre. My show, which I’m defining as a Party, is called¬†The Bootleggers present WILD TIMES 20/80!!! (stop it you lazy prohibition sluts)¬†and is about a 1920s speakeasy party. It’s a ROMP. Since getting back, it’s pretty much all I’ve been working on. It’s amazing to have all the time in the world to be able to self-produce this exciting show that I’ve really created from the bottom up. I have a cast of 18 and I’m NUTS for doing it, but it’s going to be so worth it in the long run. It’s been such a fun rehearsal process.

This semester, so far, has been a total hit. Saturday night was the 100 Days Dance, which celebrates(?) that we have 100 days to find full time jobs before being sent out into the world as graduates of Skidmore. Let the Wild Rumpus begin am I right?

Alright, time for rehearsal and dinner.