What you need to know about Zoom
Zoom is Skidmore’s webconference platform of choice not only because the College licenses the software but because Zoom offers an excellent tool set with consistently high performance. It is also the most secure conferencing platform available offering superior privacy features. Faculty, Staff, and Students have instant access to a Zoom Pro Account to schedule, host and record online meetings for one-to-one and small group virtual meetings.
- Up to 100 people can participate in a call
- Screen Sharing
- Video breakout Rooms
- Co-annotation, Multi-Sharing and Polling
- Integration with iOS and Android devices as well as Blackboard and Microsoft Outlook
- Outperforms WebEx and Skype
- Will not mine your data for marketing
Observation: While freemium tools like Skype, Google Hangouts, Facebook/WhatsApp, etc. are freely available, generally speaking and in exchange for their use, you may also be agreeing to waive consent to some aspects of your privacy. Some free services may mine user data, mostly collected via browser cookies or other trackers, used in marketing and advertising. It is always a good idea to read the fine print to understand the nature of a company’s user agreement before clicking Accept. For freemium providers that state they do not mine your data, they may go out of their way instead to encourage you to license their premium product.
- Go to the Skidmore Zoom login page: https://skidmore.zoom.us
Select the Sign In button
- Provide your Skidmore username and password
- Go to My Meetings > Schedule a New Meeting
- Provide the requested information. As you scroll down to Save, leave all other settings alone.
Copy and paste the Join URL of the meeting (it begins with https://skidmore …. ) or click on Copy Invitation. Begin composing an email to attendee(s) and paste the Meeting URL or the Invitation into the body of the email message. That is the link your attendee will click on to join the meeting you are hosting when it is scheduled to begin.
The first time you host a Zoom meeting on your computer, you will be asked to download and install the Zoom browser plugin.
LEDS is located in Lucy Scribner Library 222
Monday to Friday: 8:30am – 4:30pm