Do I have a shot at getting in?

I received a Formspring question from an ED applicant, and it didn’t fit in one box, so here’s the Q in full:

Alright so lemme give you the entire picture: I’m a senior in high school, and I just sent in my early decision application to Skidmore. I’ve got an unweighted 3.5, a 1950 on my SATs with an 800 in critical reading. I’ve excelled in the areas I’m strong in (humanities) and all of my first quarter grades (the ones sent to colleges) were really good (A’s and an 89) EXCEPT my honors precalc grade, which was a 67. Suffice it to say I’m a little panicked. As someone who’s been to Skidmore and who is familiar with the school, do you think I’ve still got a shot?

I totally understand your worries about the precalc grade — I wasn’t the greatest student in maths, as the British say.  The admissions process is a pretty complicated beast, and as you’re probably aware, lots of factors go into the decision to accept or reject a student.  I’d say you still have a shot because you sound like you’re really strong in the humanities and you’ve been working hard both this semester and all through high school.  Don’t let a single bad grade get you down.

I’d also suggest talking to a Skidmore admissions counselor (call them toll-free at 800-867-6007) about your concerns — it’s an individual process, so a counselor will be able to chat with you on an individual level about the concerns you have.  Thanks for your question, good luck with everything, and please update me if you’d like!

Ask me anything