SkidMolly: The Best Things About Thanksgiving Break

HOME!

I didn’t appreciate my hometown nearly enough until after I went to college.  Skidmore is grand as sand, but there’s nothing like driving up 22A back to Burlington past the kind of snow-covered mountains you usually only see on postcards.  If you hate where you live at the moment, chances are going off somewhere else for college might change your mind a little.  Saratoga Springs is my second home, but Vermont will always be my first.  I’ll stop gushing — there’s probably some Robert Frost poem or Neil Young song that says this stuff a little better than I can.

TURKEY DINS!

As a freshman and sophomore, I spent a lot of time each semester gorging myself on chicken fingers and other d-hall delicacies, so coming home to my mom’s cooking was very, very necessary by Thanksgiving break.  And now that I’m cooking for myself, having someone else cook for me feels weirdly luxurious.  Thanks, Ma.  This year’s turkey-cranberry sauce-gravy-mashed potatoes-stuffing-pumpkin pie extravaganza came at just the right moment…no, really…the only food I have in my apartment is a lonely box of linguine.

NO CLASS!

This is a no-brainer.  Literally.  I have no brain right now.  Thanksgiving break is the perfect time to recover from Skidmore burnout.  I will return to school with my mind all minty-fresh like it’s been dipped in a bucket of Listerine.  Promise.

NO JUDGEMENT!

As I write this, I’m sitting in my house, wearing my glasses and a pair of pajama pants that are at least six years old.  I haven’t showered or done anything to my face to make me look like a real human being.  It’s awesome.  At school I’m pretty relaxed about the whole grooming thing, but before leaving I usually put on a pair of real pants, or, you know, comb my hair.  But at home, my mom doesn’t judge me.  The world is my oyster.  Hopefully you guys won’t judge me either.

I hope everyone had a fabulous Thanksgiving and, for those applying ED II or regular decision, I hope all of your applications are looking fly.  As always, feel free to ask me your burning questions.  Happy Black Friday, or as I like to call it, Buy Nothing Day!