SkidMolly: Surviving Tripledom

I’m not a huge fan of the oft-dubious Princeton Review lists, but Skidmore has received their “Dorms Like Palaces” honor a few times, and rightfully so.  The double-occupancy rooms at Skidmore are luxuriously portioned in comparison to those at other colleges I’ve visited.  Sizeable closets, carpeted floors (no cold feet) and window seats with comfy, spongy cushions are all Skidmore dorm amenities.  (Room service and minibar not included).

And these days, Res Life puts the extra space in our res halls to good use — double rooms are usually triple rooms for first-year students.  A majority of the class of ’12 was placed in triples freshman year, and that has increased in the past couple of years.  I was in a triple and our room ended up de-tripling near the end of the first semester; because my room situation was an epic fail, hindsight has given me a few ideas for succeeding in tripledom.

ACCEPT YO’ FATE.  Excessive complaining about being placed in a triple — “Awww, dang! This sucks!” being one example — or referring to your newfound housing situation as a “forced triple” will not magically spirit you away from tripledom and toward a suite in the Waldorf.  Not to sound all New Age/Oprah/Dr. Phil, but positivity is a good tool for learning to deal with being in a triple.  Don’t think of it as a prison sentence — consider it an easy-to-overcome inconvenience, a little pothole on the road to college awesomeness.  Plus, there are monetary incentives for staying in a triple; this past semester, those assigned to triples received $200 on their Skid Card and an extra $300 tuition credit if they stayed in a triple past October 15th, and that incentive will be repeated this semester.  $200 goes a long way toward large coffees and multiple laundry cycles.

ACCOMMODATE.  The worst attitude to have is this: “Being in a triple is annoying.  I don’t care about my roommates at all, and I’m going to live life exactly the way I want to.  Everyone else can kiss my tush.”  Remember that you will be living with two other people, both of whom have needs and desires and habits and requirements.  One person will want to Skype with their significant other at 3am; another will need extra sleep because they have crew practice early in the morning.  Someone will have a peanut allergy; someone else will show up to school with an economy-size jar of Skippy.  This is how life works.  Compromise is very, very necessary.  Which leads to…

COMMUNICATE.  This amalgamation of needs can’t be addressed unless people express those needs!  That guy who’s allergic to peanuts has to speak up to his roommate, lest he face a horrible Death By PB & J.  Talk to your roommates.  It’s the quickest way to find out how to fix things.

RELATE. Your roommates will probably be different from you in some way.  Maybe they’re from the opposite side of the country, or from another country entirely.  Triples have a way of bringing science geeks and theater freaks and philosophy nerds all together in one small space, so embrace those weird combinations.  You don’t have to be best friends with your roommates — sometimes it’s better if you aren’t — but take the time to hang out with them outside of the room.  It’s easy to bond over a plate of fries from the Spa.

In the words of Blue Öyster Cult, don’t fear the reaper triple.  If anything, living in a triple is a learning experience: I discovered a lot about myself and even more about human nature, plus I got that sweet t-shirt pictured above.  It’s a scientific fact that free t-shirts make everything better.

Have questions about the logistics of living situations? Ask away, my dears.  Good luck to everybody applying ED II and Regular Decision — apps are due in nine days!