While we all settle into another fall semester on campus, Alli is getting ready for her time in Germany this semester on the IES Metropolitan Studies program AND keeping a blog!! Let’s read it, ok?

Only a few days remain before I boldly go where few Vermonters have gone before and move to Berlin, Germany for the semester. I couldn’t be more excited to experience life in a real metropolitan city; having grown up in a state the population of which doesn’t match even one of New York City’s burrows, let alone the entire metropolis, living in a place like Berlin will be nothing short of an adventure. I can earnestly say that growing up, I didn’t know they made buildings “that tall” and I can’t wait to see a beautiful cityscape up close. I will go without autumn in New England for the first time ever, but I’ll get to feel like a leaf-peeper (how Vermonters dub fall foliage tourists) for once as I take in the wonders of my new home. My only hope is that my host family thinks living with me is half as interesting as I’ll find living with them. I am currently assembling a Vermont-themed hospitality gift, banking on maple syrup and raspberry jam as welcome presents. I am thinking about including a copy of Caldecott Award winning picture book about a local legend “Snowflake Bentley” but I haven’t decided. Read more…