Hi! My name is Christina and I am a student assistant for OCSE. I know what it is like to go abroad, and I also know what it is like to return home after being abroad. Here are just some of the many feelings one may experience as they transition back to their life from abroad.

• There is the first week excitement – but then the reality of actually studying sinks in
  • You have changed, but people look at you in the same way
  • Feeling disconnected because you went abroad and your friends made more friends that you don’t even know
  • You are bored with the limited possibilities of your home environment
  • You enjoy classes a lot more and appreciate the academic level of Skidmore
  • You want to go back
  • You wish you never left
  • You are relieved to be in a place where you know how things work

I personally have enjoyed changing environments during my college experience. I grew up in Greece, went to high-school in Norway, came to Skidmore, and then went abroad to Vienna for a whole year. That was PLENTY of change, new experiences, and new friends from all over the world. Did I enjoy it? Yes. Did I reach a saturation point? Also yes!

I think it is okay to feel happy about returning from abroad. Studying abroad is really appreciated nowadays, and that is really great, but I also hope that no one feels bad for not studying abroad, or for feeling that they have had enough abroad experiences already.

At this point of time, while I don’t regret any of my abroad experiences, I want to stay in one place. I want to reconnect with my friends and enjoy my routine. But that does not mean that I won’t consider moving to a new country again. I leave the possibility open, because the world has so much to offer. I will recollect my energy and take off once again!