Hello Skidkids!

Thinking about going abroad? Good! But are you worried about how it will work with your major? Totally natural.

Deciding to study off-campus for a semester or two is a wonderful decision, but it takes a lot of consideration and planning ahead. However, one thing we want to emphasize here at OCSE: we accommodate ALL majors here at Skidmore College! As the Marketing Assistant here at OCSE,  sometimes I will ask people “why did you decide not to go abroad?”, and one of the most common answers I receive is “I wasn’t confident that would it accommodate the required classes of my major.”

So, this post is an effort to combat that misconception. From my own personal experience, it is more than possible to complete requirements for majors while studying abroad. As a double major in Psychology and Spanish, I was initially worried that going abroad would hinder my completion of each major, but instead, it strengthened my knowledge in both of them! I chose the Skidmore in Spain program (Madrid, Spain) because I was determined to enhance my bilingualism. My course list consisted of:

Descubriendo el museo del prado (Discovering the Prado Museum)

Gramática avanzada de español (Advanced Spanish Grammar)

Psicologia del desarrollo (Developmental Psychology)

Práctica (internship) para ifeel (ciber-terapia)

The two Spanish courses and the internship counted towards my Spanish major, and the Developmental Psychology course towards my Psychology major. I was able to affirm this not only be checking the “Approved Course” list, but also by staying in touch with the heads of the Spanish and Psychology Departments. The professors here at Skidmore are so supportive in helping students navigate the paths of their majors, and I am so grateful that I was able to coordinate with the OCSE office and the Department Chairs as I planned my adventure abroad.

In addition to the four major Skidmore programs (Skidmore in Spain, Skidmore in London, Skidmore in New Zealand, and Skidmore in Paris), we have a network of over 120 approved programs to choose from! We are here to help you do the research that you need to figure out which program is the best program for you and your academic career.

Through the MyOCSE portal you can go to the Advanced Search option to look at various department approved programs. Have some questions for us? Come on in during our office hours! They are Monday through Friday from 1pm – 4pm at our OCSE office (Starbuck 202).