Cultural Differences

One of the reasons I chose to study abroad in Russia was because I wanted to experience culture shock. I wanted to go somewhere entirely culturally different from the United States. Here are some of the observations I have made so far:

1. The people are much quieter here. Restaurants, parks, and general public places in America are much louder with everyone talking and laughing. That isn’t to say that the people here do not speak and laugh–it’s just much quieter.
    2. The streets are much cleaner, however the trash cans are smaller and fewer. I am still trying to understand how this is possible.
    3. Moscovites dress extraordinarily well. Additionally, they appear to be prepared for the cold all the time. Even on the warmer days they wear long, thick, coats.
    4. PDA is far more socially acceptable here than it is in the United States.
    5. There is a culture of bringing people flowers. I’ve seen so many people walking around with flowers, couples carrying around flowers, and people leaving flowers at the foot of statues of great leaders, politicians, and artists. Even on ordinary days, there are flowers left at these statues to commemorate Russian legends.