Windsor Castle

Windsor Castle is definitely a must see if you visit London. The trip to the castle is about an hour from the Waterloo train station in London and the fee is around 18 pounds to get in. Walking around the castle you get a feeling for how the British view themselves. The castle looks over the town and countryside for miles and mile and you feel superior, there’s no other way to put it. When you take the tour on the inside you walk past rooms filled with rare art, massive amounts of weapons and armor, and selections from the British Library including pieces from DaVinci’s journal! It’s hard not to get swept up in all the pageantry, though you may be taken aback by the massive dollhouse, complete with electricity, running pluming, and it’s very own set of crown jewels. There is a sense of melancholy surrounding the place however; seeing all of the artifacts and treasure from around the world you are reminded of the massive amounts of death and hardship that British imperialism brought on the world. These details tend to be brushed over, however, as many of the spoils of war are claimed as ‘Gifts to the Crown’. My favorite part of the grounds is St. George’s Cathedral, situated just below the castle. I was stunned when I looked down and found a plaque informing me that I was directly over the remains of Henry the VIII. The history surrounds this place, and it never ceases to amaze me.

This entry was posted in London. Bookmark the permalink.