Sophia Bella Cucci ’20 Interns with Sony Music and Donovan Public Relations

My name is Sophia Cucci (class of 2020), and I am currently a Dance Major and double Arts Administration and Business minor at Skidmore.  I am from New Jersey, but I commute into New York City five days a week to intern for two companies, Sony Music and Donovan Public Relations.  Working at two companies allows me to simultaneously work in two different fields within the music industry, marketing and publicity.

I was fortunate enough to have been invited back to work at Sony from last summer, so I did not have to go through a formal application process.  I met my supervisor at DPR at a concert, and when I told her I was interested in publicity, she suggested that I interview for an internship at her company.

While at Sony Music, I specifically work for the label Masterworks Broadway, which is the division of Sony Music that produces cast recording of Broadway and Off-Broadway shows.  My responsibilities lay mainly in digital marketing, as I run the company’s social media pages during my time there (@sonybroadway). This requires me to create content, research current events in the theater world, and stay very aware of both our production schedule and the demographics of our audiences.  Some of our most well-known cast albums include: Spongebob Squarepants, Kinky Boots, Hairspray, and Avenue Q, just to name a few.  Every Thursday I attend an event called Broadway in Bryant Park as press to live stream performances from different shows for our social media pages.

Donovan Public Relations is a publicity firm that represents celebrity musicians and actors including: Adam Levine/Maroon 5, Lenny and Zoe Kravitz, the B-52’s, Questlove, and Aly & AJ.  My responsibilities here are much like those of a publicity assistant; every morning I begin by doing “clips” which means that I research posts and articles about our clips that have occurred within the last 24 hours. I am then given daily tasks which may include writing press releases, interview requests, creating contact lists, or documenting gifts given to our clients.

Although I had previously wanted to go into performing, working at Sony Music last summer helped me figure out that I wanted to be a part of the music industry as a career, so I focused a lot of my studies this year and my internship search on music and theater related opportunities.  Interning at these companies has been one of the best experiences of my life and I am so thankful to the Summer Experience Fund for helping me take part in such an amazing opportunity.

This entry was posted in North America and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.