Atlantic Theater Company

Hello!

My name is Liel Dolev (class of 2020), and I have been studying at the Atlantic Theater Company as an actor/student in New York City. I just finished up studying there this Saturday. I never thought it would be possible to learn so much in just six weeks. Here are a few valuable lessons I learned throughout my time here:

1. Work Ethic: I woke up at 6am and got home at around 8pm everyday for six days a week. This forced me to use every second of free time to study, learn lines, and rehearse. It took me a while to realize that good work ethic does not just come from  the amount of work you’re doing, but also taking the time to take care of yourself.
  2. Teachers: I was constantly in awe of  how amazing the teachers were at Atlantic, but I also realized that it is important to not, as one guest lecturer said, “fall under the spell of a teacher.” It was important for me to both respect and listen to the teacher, but also not loose sight of your own opinions and independence.
  3. New York City: Wow! I have so many thoughts on NYC. There are so many amazing aspects to this bustling city — I loved that I could walk outside of my house and within one block get groceries, coffee, and go see a show. I also realized how overstimulating it can be! I often needed some time just to relax, and not be surrounded by crowds of people.
  4. Lessons on Acting: I learned so many incredible lessons about acting and theater. But most importantly, I learned how important and noble it is to be telling stories in our society today. We live in a world where the truth is hard to find, and Theater (rather, good Theater) allows us to listen to the truth.

Overall, this program inspired me to create more Theater — it left me feeling rejuvenated and infinitely more knowledge. I can’t even begin to express my gratitude for the funding committee for allowing me to embark of this crazy, incredible, and rich experience. Without a doubt, I would recommend the Summer Intensive at the Atlantic Theater Company.

Again, thank you very, very much.

Liel Dolev

This entry was posted in North America, Summer Experience Fund and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.