Mackey Howe ‘18 | All About the Griffin Museum of Photography

For the past two and a half months I have been interning with the Griffin Museum of Photography in Winchester, MA. Arthur Griffin founded the museum in 1992 with the hopes that it might serve the surrounding community by highlighting the huge variety of photographic arts. Today the museum houses three galleries and has grown to include an additional three satellite galleries in the Boston area. It offers a wide range of programs beyond being a gallery, including classes, professional portfolio reviews, and artist talks.

I was very excited to be able to work in such a nexus of photography in the greater Boston area. The other interns and I took on any number of tasks in a day, and worked to help make the events at the museum a success. I helped install numerous shows, including the 2018 Members Juried Show which is open now. I also helped prepare for lectures given by both Richard McCabe and Paula Tognarelli, as well as organizational tasks and the day-to-day running of the museum.

As a recent graduate of Skidmore’s studio art program, I honed a number of valuable and relevant skills to take with me moving forward. I worked on framing and hanging work, writing event proposals, and practiced how to best correspond with other working artists. While at school I was able to learn the techniques and discuss concepts behind my art, it was not until this summer that I was able to see another side of the art world (outside of Skidmore). I worked in the Schick Gallery while I was a student, but being thrown into a full blown independent operation is very different. The respect I have for people working in this field has doubled over the course of this summer, having now seen the patience and dedication required to keep an institution like the Griffin alive and thriving.

Working for a nonprofit gave me perspective that I couldn’t get working for the Schick. The number of events and shows that the staff is able to piece together on the slimmest of budgets is astounding, and they all deserve major credit for doing so. Every dollar they receive is stretched to the limit in pursuit of Arthur Griffin’s vision to create a center for the photographic arts. This museum may be small, but you wouldn’t be able to guess it judging solely from their website’s calendar of events. We were all kept busy for the summer, with ever more projects and plans appearing on the horizon.

I want to thank Summer Funded Internship Experiences for allowing me to take on such a rewarding summer job. Without your support I would not have been able to immerse myself so fully in my field of study coming right out of graduation! This was a great way to start off my post-grad career.

This entry was posted in North America, Uncategorized and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.