Dylan Barron ’20 Interns at Advanced Alternative Media

My name is Dylan and I am a part of Skidmore’s Class of 2020! At Skidmore, I am working to complete a Spanish major and minors in art history and arts administration. This summer I have had the opportunity to intern with a music management company, Advanced Alternative Media, in New York City. After interning at a music publishing company last summer, I was extremely excited to continue exploring the music industry, and Skidmore’s Summer Experience Funding gave me all the necessary tools to focus on this experience in order to learn as much as I could.

AAM works with songwriters, artists, producer, mixers, and engineers to help grow their careers by finding new artists for them to collaborate with, promoting new song releases, planning work-related travel, and much more. AAM’s clients have worked with a wide range of popular artists, from Khalid, Beck, The Jonas Brothers, and many more. At AAM I am able to learn about what it takes to manage an artist’s career, from before they are signed to a record label, to working on their first track, and securing high profile collaborations.

Working at a smaller company, I was able to jump right into many of my daily tasks. I write website posts and A&R flashes to be sent out to record labels about new song or album releases, update client biographies and discographies, update publishing splits, help arrange travel for clients, and pitch possible collaborations for AAM clients. Many of these tasks, such as updating biographies, discographies, and brainstorming possible collaborations, require me to do my own research. This has made working with AAM one of my most engaging work experiences yet, as I am able to think creatively. These tasks, along with my own research has allowed me to become a more informed individual about current events related to the music industry.

Working with AAM, has reaffirmed my desire to continue pursuing a career in the music industry. I enjoy being in a fast-paced environment, where everyone shares a passion for music. Every day is engaging, as I am able to be creative, while still learning more about the music side of the business industry. This combination of creativity and business is something that drew me to the music industry from the start, and I loved seeing these two aspects at work in AAM. Going into this experience, I think it’s most important to have an open mind and be willing to complete tasks as they come, as one day can be completely different from the next.

Skidmore’s Summer Experience Fund provided me with a way to more fully immerse myself in this learning experience. Thank you to the SEF and its donors for allowing me to tackle this experience!