Jinan Al-Busaidi ’20, Middle East Institute, Washington, DC.

Hello! My name is Jinan Al-Busaidi and I am a rising senior at Skidmore from the Sultanate of Oman. I am a political science and French double major, and this summer I have been fortunate enough to intern at the Middle East Institute in Washington, DC. The Middle East Institute (MEI) is Washington’s oldest institution dedicated solely to the study of the Middle East. MEI provides policy analysis, language and regional studies courses, and events aimed at promoting a better understanding of the Middle East in the United States.

This summer, I have worked as one of two interns in the arts and culture department in preparation for the launch of MEI’s inaugural art gallery. My internship perfectly combines my love for politics and culture and embodies how interdisciplinary my Skidmore education allows me to be. My summer internship has provided me the unique opportunity to research artists and potential future exhibitions, shortlist an initial selection of photographs for an upcoming show, and interview an Iranian artist for an article on MEI’s website. Additionally, in tandem with the gallery opening, MEI has been organizing outreach into DC public schools, which is another project I have been very proud to be involved in. Fun fact: I started Persian language classes at MEI as well!

My internship experience has been further amplified thanks to its location: Washington, DC. During my time in the nation’s capital, I have had the privilege of meeting Oman’s ambassador to the United States and attend a panel featuring Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg. I have toured various museums and historical sights, all while also being exposed to various aspects of politics formulation in the United States.

I am extremely thankful to Skidmore and its donors for awarding me SGA’s Responsible Citizenship Award. As a rising senior from abroad, I am immensely grateful for the opportunity to experience a valuable internship in the United States that has combined both creativity and political knowledge. I am sad to leave the place I have called home for the past few months, but I look forward to growing in the future thanks to my time here.

This entry was posted in Middle East, North America, Summer Experience Fund Overview and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.