Morgan Fechter-Class of 2020- AZIONE PR-NYC

Hello! My name is Morgan Fechter and I am a member of the Class of 2020 majoring in English and minoring in Management & Business. This summer I had the amazing opportunity of interning with AZIONE PR, a boutique Public Relations agency working with clients in the fashion, beauty and wellness spheres, among others.

As an English major and Business minor, I have never really been sure of what I want to pursue post-graduation. I have always loved writing and communicating and have found a passion for entrepreneurship, all backed by a huge amount of respect for boss women. I had been bouncing back and forth with the ideas of being an editor or shifting into the marketing sphere, but this summer decided I wanted to try out Public Relations to mesh my interests in communication and brand-building. My prior internships have been mostly under the umbrella of marketing – at an ice cream startup, a real estate company, and a fashion boutique, among others.

I was immediately drawn to AZIONE due to their “One size does not fit all” approach to public relations. It is an agency fueled by creativity (CTM!) and the creation of personal connections, and even better, many of their clients are women-led businesses with strong missions for diversity, inclusivity, and environmental welfare. In addition, AZIONE focuses a great deal on the process of storytelling and creating a compelling brand story, which spoke to the interests that led me to pursue an English major.

At AZIONE, myself and the three other interns were assigned supervisors in different industries, and I spent my summer working closely with a junior account manager in the fashion field to assist with PR efforts for companies such as J. Crew. I wrote pitches to send to editors, helped create media lists, and got an unbeatable inside look at what goes on behind the scenes to help a new company gain traction. Though my supervisor was mostly on fashion accounts, I got the opportunity to assist other account managers and learn some of the nuances of different industries such as beauty and health, and to track press across print and digital platforms. I also conducted industry audits to assess competition for certain brands and created briefing documents for press events.

Living in New York City and going into a bustling office four days a week was an amazing experience, and certainly one that will help inform my career path post-graduation. Not only did I gain professional experience, but the stipend from the Summer Experience Fund allowed me to explore what it is like to live on my own in a major city, which was very new for me and helped me grow in terms of independence and responsibility. I am very thankful to have had this opportunity that would not have been possible without the help of the CDC and the generous donors of the Summer Experience Fund. I would strongly encourage any students interested in applying for Summer Funding to contact the CDC along every step of the process; many internships for undergraduates are unpaid and thus the help of the Summer Experience Fund makes an enormous difference.

This entry was posted in North America, Uncategorized and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.