Lincoln Lin 19′, Jiangshan Rural Commercial Bank, Jiangshan, China

Hi all, my name is Lincoln Lin. I’ve recently graduated from Skidmore College with a B.S. in Business and started my master’s program at NYU Tandon in Financial Engineering. Seeing that my career interests lie in the areas of quantitative risk management and credit analysis, I sought internship opportunities within these said areas and was able to find an opportunity with Jiangshan Rural Commercial Bank in China.

I started hitting the ground running as soon as I initiated the internship. I had acquired some quantitative skills prior to the start of the internship but did not see much to the application thereof, or more specifically in the field of finance. My work involved much in the data gathering and analysis, and eventually, visualize for report and presentation. I was given a huge volume of data daily, mainly financial data from enterprises. Given the current business and political environment in China, it is generally encouraged for citizens to start their small businesses and many policies were put in place to incentivize and safeguard the carryout of this initiative, many of them financial and delegated to the local credit union branches. As a reputable regional bank in an area that had seen much growth in the past couple of years, JRCB is an industry leader in devising ways that accurately measure creditworthiness. For my work, in particular, I ran the internationally standardized CAPM model to determine the worth and financial health of companies of larger size. But for companies that are nascent to the world that has not much financial history to show for, or have a lot of potentials yet to demonstrate, my job is to detect the strengths and weakiness of companies, and a lot of it involves qualitative analyses, on-site interviews, and interviews with executives.

I was fortunate enough to have participated and been amongst the decision-makers on some loan applications on several occasions. I was able to capture some of the subtle yet important factors in a qualitative decision-making process after an initially neutral analysis. I have substantially improved my quantitative skills and most importantly sufficiently enjoyed my summer of post-graduation and leading up to graduate school.

I want to take a moment and thank CDC and the donors for opening so many doors and making it possible for me to get ahead in the industry and have a better chance to go further and faster in finance!