Location: Skidmore College
Dates: Summer 2013 (1st & 2nd Summer Session), 25 hours/week
Pay: $10/hour and room and board provided at Skidmore College
We are looking for creative, organized, self-directed, responsible people who have some existing skills related to trail maintenance, outdoor education, communication, or other related areas. The successful applicant will have good public relations skills and be comfortable interacting with visitors in the North Woods. CPR and First Aid certification as well as GIS knowledge and website development are desirable skills.
The positions run from May 28th through August 2nd, 2013. The Stewards will report to Rachel Willis, Sustainability Fellow. Stewards will work the 10-week period stated above, for regularly scheduled hours.
Monitoring Physical Condition of North Woods
- Maintain, monitor and record physical appearance/health of the woods, including litter removal and trail maintenance
- Keep records of visitor use
- Inform visitors about the details and goals of the stewardship program.
- Maintain kiosks, trail markers and signage so that visitors and campus safety know woods layout
- Work with the GIS lab to continue to update and create data points and maps of the North Woods
- Continue to interview campus and community stakeholders about their relationship to and knowledge of the North Woods
- Create short videos from the interviews
- Compile the interview information and other research about the woods into a useable format for future North Woods Stewards and others
- Help maintain Sustainable Skidmore and North Woods websites, Manage the North Woods Blog
Reach Out to Saratoga Community
- Build Friends of the Skidmore North Woods Membership
- Conduct public outreach, such as lectures and guided hikes for community groups and others
Skidmore Student Garden Support
- Help plant, maintain and harvest the Skidmore Student Garden
- On average, stewards will spend about 12-15 hours/week at the garden working on garden tasks.
- Task will include: planting, making garden beds, weeding, harvesting, delivering food to the dining hall, campus outreach about the garden and any other duties the garden may require
Independent Research Project
- Outline a proposed research project linked to the North Woods and complete the work as well as a summary of your research question, methods, and results by August 2nd.
- Write a report summarizing the summer North Woods / sustainability activities: Due August 2nd
- Include a section on recommendations for future stewardship and sustainability
- CPR & First Aid Certification
- GIS Coursework
- Coursework in the Natural Sciences
- Previous Experience in Trail Maintenance
- Previous Experience in Community Outreach or Education
- Submission of Interest Letter, Resume, and Two References (at least one Skidmore faculty/staff)
Please Submit Materials by 3/3/2013
with North Woods Steward Application as the Subject Line to:
Sustainable Skidmore @ firstname.lastname@example.org
Candidates will be notified by mid-April in regards to their application and top candidates may be asked for interviews prior to their hire.