The White Cliffs of ZOMG IS THIS REAL LIFE

By on 10-27-2014 in Explore, Thoughts, Travel

This Saturday I took a trip to Dover, England: home of the famous White Cliffs! I had not really done any research on the town prior to visiting, nor did I have any set plan. I wanted to be as surprised as I could! Dover is just a 2 hour train ride away from London. On the way there it was so refreshing to see the beautiful sea! The sight of any kind of water makes me happy because it reminds me of my home, which is right by the sea. But Dover was unlike any sea town I’ve ever seen.

At around 11am Kari and I emerged from the Dover Priory train station feeling quite ravenous. We popped into the nearest place that advertised food, a place called the Dover Priory Hotel, which was actually just a pub. I had what was probably the meatiest, greasiest, butteriest breakfast of my life. It was magical.

Thankfully, the town was just a short 5 min walk from the train station. We found an adorable little information center/museum. There, a kind older lady with an adorable accent told us about the famous cliff walk, and how at the end of it there is a lighthouse where you can go in and get tea and scones. Yes Gawd.

My first view of the adorable town!

My first view of the adorable town!

Exterior of church

Exterior of church

The stunning inside

The stunning inside

A river fit for a painting!

A river fit for a painting!

A cozy little home

A cozy little home

My first spotting of the cliffs!

My first spotting of the cliffs!

Dover Castle

Dover Castle

So after weaving through streets and roundabouts with trucks all trying to get onto ferries, we finally found our way to the Cliffs. The hike up to the top really whipped my booty into shape, and by the time we got to the first viewpoint, we were beaming with excitement. It is difficult to describe the emotions I felt as I took in the beautiful sights on that cliff top. Simply put, I felt as if I was in another world. It was pure magic.

After an hour long journey, we finally made it to the lighthouse. There is nothing better than enjoying tea and scones on the English countryside. The authenticity of it all just makes the whole experience.

Our journey back was even more magical than the first. We ended up taking a route which allowed us to walk by the very edge of the cliffs, which there are no barriers or anything! It’s just you up there, and you’re able to get as close to (or far away) from the edge as you want. Crazy!

When we reached the bottom, a logical choice would have been to rest a while, but we were still thirsty for more adventure. We decided to walk to the ferry and inquire about getting to Calais, France which isn’t too far off from Dover. Sadly, it was too late in the day to travel there, but we were both so pleased with our hike through the Cliffs that we wouldn’t change anything of it for the world.

The suns sets over Dover Castle

The suns sets over Dover Castle

Dover street art

Dover street art

My last view of Dover!

My last view of Dover!

At around 6pm, we decided to head home. I had my box of mac n cheese and brownie mix from America waiting for me. It was nice to cozy up inside on a Saturday night after such a long and tiresome journey. Apparently the walk from the train station to the cliffs is 6 miles alone! Wowza!

Dover was the real highlight of my weekend, although it is worth mentioning that on Friday I finally got a chance to see David Fincher’s “Gone Girl” in theaters. A wild and thoroughly entertaining film! Go check it out while you still have the chance!

That’s all for now darlings, next week I’ll be in Shakespeare’s birthplace, Stratford-upon-Avon! Yay!

xx Mirella

Submit a Comment

*