Unexpected Parisian Adventure

By on 12-09-2014 in Explore, Thoughts, Travel

So, I know I promised to write about some London adventures this time, but last weekend I decided to take an impromptu trip to PARIS, the city of love!

On the night of my arrival I met up with the lovely Kari who promptly took me to go see the Eiffel Tower SPARKLE at midnight. I would say that was the most magical experience I ever had but the Nutella Crepe that I ate afterwards probably deserves that title. But truly, I can’t explain to you how beautiful it was seeing such a famous French landmark light up on my first night in Paris. It was pure magic.

It doesn't get much better than this!

It doesn’t get much better than this!

My first day in Paris was filled with adventure! We started out walking down the Champs-Élysées, which was stunningly decorated for the Christmas holidays. There was a plethora of Christmas markets. I had my first ever cheesy pretzel! As we talked down the shops I came across my favorite macaroon store in the entire world, Ladurée. They have one here in London at Harrods and at Covent Garden, but the one is Paris is the real deal. The interior was absolutely beautiful, and they even had some special flavors that they don’t have anywhere else!

After taking a quick peek at the Arc de Triomphe we headed over to Luxembourg Gardens, a stunning park with pony rides and a pond where kids can play with miniature sail boats! Even though it was freezing, I enjoyed having a little picnic of a yummy baguette with jambon, “ham” (which was really more like Italian prosciutto) and some fromage, “cheese.”

After the gardens were decided to do some church hopping. The Sainte-Chapelle is a stunning, underrated sight. Although it lacks in size and isn’t used as a place of worship anymore, the stained glass is the most beautiful church interior I’ve ever seen. Just a short walk away was the Notre Dame. We were lucky enough to visit this grand church during an afternoon mass! It was such a unique experience being in there during a time of worship.

Because I’m a total nerd, Kari took me to a bookshop called Shakespeare and Company. This quirky, cute, and small place had books both old and new, and they were all in English! On the second floor they even had a piano that anyone could play on. Kari snatched up this opportunity and managed to attract a crowd with a Chopin piece and a few she even wrote herself! This was by far one of my favorite parts of the whole trip.

Kari was SO popular that she eve made friends with three students studying abroad from Duke University. They were gracious enough to take us to dinner and show us around Montmartre, an area of Paris I was just dying to see, mainly because one of my favorite French films, Amélie, was filmed there.

After enjoying a super swanky diner complete with canard, “duck”, and a delicious sugar coma-worthy chocolate gonach dessert, we managed to find Amélie’sCafé des 2 Moulins! I was so thrilled to even be there that I didn’t care they were charging 4 euros for one cup of tea. It was a perfect way to end the evening.

On my last full day in Paris in explored around Le Marais, a historic district in Paris which had a ton of falafel places and Yiddish food restaurants. It was in this area where I consumed the best chocolate molten lava cake I’ve ever had in my entire life. I am still dreaming about it to this day.

It exists!

It exists!

Parisian street art

Parisian street art

Kari and I then ventured to the Sacré-Cœur, a stunning Basilica which overlooks Montmarte from a hill top. It was so beautiful to see Paris from up above! We had just enough time to see if before the sun set. From there we headed over back towards the area where Champs-Élysées was. Here, we found the famous Louvre Museum! I had seen pictures of the Louvre during daytime, but never at night. Even though we didn’t have enough time to go in, it was a gorgeous sight from the outside.

Because it started to get pretty nippy we decided to splurge and treat ourself to what was supposedly the best hot chocolate in all of Paris at Angelina, a stunning tea room. I decided to be adventurous and try out the White Hot Chocolate. It was a little too sweet for my taste, but I couldn’t complain.

Kari and I ended our evening with ice skating on the Champs and running over to go see the Eiffel Tower sparkle one more time. I loved my stay in Paris and wish I had more time to explore! It is a city I look forward to visiting again soon.

I have less than a week left in London! Eek! I’m trying hard not to think about that, but it’s a great motivator to get me to go visit things I’ve been putting off seeing for a while now. I aim to get a post up about some of my final adventures soon!

Loving that 4 euro tea!

Loving that 4 euro tea!

xx Mirella         

Submit a Comment

*